Friday, February 3, 2012

It’s a Good Thing I Didn't Open That Bottle

Knowing that Friday was going to be a relatively easy day (we closed our office to give our staff some relief from Super Bowl traffic and to allow them to take the day and go partake of some of the Super Bowl-related activities), I had planned to sit down fairly late last night, open my bottle of Highland Park, and … um … taste it.

But as it turns out, that didn’t happen … and it’s a good thing.

Thursday nights are occasionally hectic in our household due to the kids’ activities. My wife wound up asking me to carry in some Panda Express for dinner. Unfortunately (or fortunately, as you’ll see in a moment), the food tasted good … but stayed with me all evening. I decided that sitting down for my first careful taste of a not-inexpensive single malt whisky while I still had the taste of spicy Chinese food in my mouth (and some rumbling in the tummy to paraphrase a particular Pooh bear) was probably a bad idea. So the bottle stayed tightly sealed.

So why was that fortunate? About 10 minutes (literally) after I would have poured that first drink, my wife became very ill. Details aren’t really important, other to say that both she and I were up all night long. Again, I’m speaking literally. She has a rare disease and for a while it was touch and go as to whether I was going to be calling 911 for an ambulance to take her to the hospital. Thankfully, we made it through the night. By morning, I was able to recall, quite vividly, how the first 6 months of being a parent to twins felt. And my sneaking suspicion is that as totally horrible and miserable as my night was … with a belly full of whisky it would have been that much worse.

Ah, well. there are many more nights. Um, like tonight, maybe?

Update February 12, 2012 (formatting and typo corrections).

No comments:

Post a Comment